Westchester, NY

(914) 600-7220

New Jersey

(201) 567-5564

How to Clean Your Home After Water Damage And Avoid Mold

How to Clean Your Home After Water Damage And Avoid Mold

It no secret that water can cause a lot of damage. Not only it ruins our carpets and furniture, but also because of the rapid mold and bacteria growth. Water damage could be from a source which may include water, fire, storm, etc. 90% of home or business owners must have experienced damages caused by water. Once an establishment has sustained this kind of damage, it becomes imperative that a cleanup or water damage restoration process should be initiated immediately. It becomes extremely necessary to treat the matter as an emergency situation.

There are three categories of water damages: Category one, clean water with sources from broken devices and pour out of the sink. Category two, contaminated water with sources from broken toilets and sump pumps. Category three, it’s otherwise known as black water and the sources sewage, etc.

Mold is very dangerous and toxic for people, with breathing problems in particular. But it will definitely cause a big risk to healthy people. Flood in the home that caused by sewage is the most dangerous. That is why it is very important to stop mold and bacteria growth. You have about 24 to 36 hours to work with. We have found this helpful guide by the National Center for Healthy Housing: Creating a Healthy Home.

If you act quickly, you may be able to minimize the damage to your home, carpets and furniture. It would really depend on how long the water has been setting in before action took place. Acting quickly will prevent mold growth, and keep your environment’s air clean and healthy. First, you will need to call your insurance company. Then do the following step:

  1. Disconnect any power and unplug all electronics. Move anything that you are able to away from water, especially electronics.
  2. Get rid of any water, and dry off the wet areas.
  3. After everything has dried out, you must use a disinfectant solution to get rid of any bacteria. Disinfect everything. Use a non-toxic disinfectant such as Gloves Off.
  4. In order to prevent mold growth, and after you have disinfectant all areas thoroughly, apply mold preventing solution that is non-toxic according to directions.

After a home has being hit by water damage, the best thing to do is to hire a professional with water damage restoration experience. After a water outbreak, their service is needed to allay the adverse effect of water. They will help decide the best removal and restoration plan. The recovery process is a type that involves the use of high-tech machines, specialized equipment to extract huge amounts of water and industrial blowers to reduce moisture. 


Tags: , ,


Pin It on Pinterest

Share This